dr Karolina PłoskaLAWYER-LINGUIST
MAIN PRACTICE AREAS:
- Transactional banking
- Security perfection
- Legal translations
Karolina Płoska is a lawyer-linguist specialising in banking and international finance, with a particular focus on negotiating and drafting sets of security documents associated with project finance, acquisition finance and property finance (including pledge agreements, submissions to enforcement, assignments, mortgages, debt subordination, corporate authorisations, release letters, powers of attorney, books of shares, etc.) as well as providing legal assistance in connection with banking sector transactions, including carrying out CP and CS processes from the perspective of the lenders, financial institutions, private equity funds, and borrowers.
Karolina is a security perfection specialist and has several years of extensive experience in co-operation with notaries and courts. She also has a unique practical knowledge concerning registering, amending and deregistering pledges and mortgages and other security interests established in favour of Polish and foreign lenders, understanding of court processes and registration requirements, as well as proven track record in dealing with unexpected registration/ deregistration problems.
In addition, Karolina is an expert certified (sworn) translator and court interpreter, member of TEPIS (Polish Society of Sworn and Specialised Translators), with considerable experience in drafting bilingual sets of transactional documents and preparing translations of LMA-standard facility agreements and regulatory banking and finance documents, including for the purpose of proceedings before courts and the Polish Financial Supervision Authority. She also has a thorough knowledge of the investment products and OTC derivatives market regulations language.
Karolina gained extensive professional experience working for CMS Cameron McKenna Nabarro Olswang Pośniak i Sawicki sp.k. as well as several other reputable companies and higher education institutions in Poland and the UK.
Karolina holds an MA degree in law from the University of Warsaw, a PhD from Cardiff University (heritage management law) and a postgraduate degree in translating from the University of Warsaw (Institute of Applied Linguistics).
Karolina is an avid reader, with passion for the literature of fact and historical fiction. She loves medieval history and archaeology, museums and sightseeing and in her free time translates academic papers and publications for the Polish Academy of Sciences.
Karolina’s experience includes, among others, providing legal advice in connection with the following transactions:
- Private equity: work associated with financing the acquisition of Torf Corporation (Tołpa cosmetic brand), Delicpol and Mykogen (food industry), Smyk, Empik and Żabka (retail), acquisition of Ikea retail parks by Pradera, sale of Home.pl and Travelplanet;
- Property development: work for HB Reavis, CA Immo, and GTC on several projects concerning financing and refinancing of various acquisition and construction ventures;
- PPP and energy sector: work associated with the financing of a regional hospital in Żywiec and windfarms;
- Major Polish and foreign companies: Grupa Wirtualna Polska – financing and refinancing for acquisitions made by GWP, financing of Fortuna (online betting) and Promedica (healthcare), refinancing of the Top Farms group (agriculture);
- Banks and regulatory: advising two leading banks on transferring mortgage loan portfolios to newly-established mortgage banks (mass registration of amendments to land and mortgage entries), assistance in proceedings before the KNF and UOKiK (specialist translations) for, among others, International Personal Finance (IPF/Provident) and RBS Polska, work for and international bank consortium: advising on the application of the PRIIP regulation – translations of Key Information Documents for structured investment products.